Conservative Election Candidate's Property Hit by Arson Attack


Calls for calm in the community after latest incident


The car ablaze outside the premises on Whitton Road. Picture: Facebook

May 22, 2026

Two attacks within days of each other in Hounslow have prompted increased police patrols and statement of concern from the council leader.

The first incident took place on the evening of Monday 18 May on Wellington Avenue, Hounslow, when a house, understood to be the resident of Umar Farooq, who has stood as a Conservative candidate in the recent local elections, had a brick thrown at it. Two days later, in the early hours of Wednesday 20 May, a far more dramatic incident unfolded on Whitton Road, when a car, believed to have been stolen, was deliberately driven into a business premises associated with Mr Farooq and set alight. The London Fire Brigade attended and extinguished the blaze. There were no injuries in either incident, but both properties sustained damage. Police have made no arrests and say inquiries are ongoing.

Both incidents are not currently being treated as hate crimes, and police have stated there is no wider risk to the public.

Hounslow Council leader Councillor Shantanu Rajawat issued a statement expressing his concern. "I am deeply shocked and saddened to hear about a suspected arson incident that took place on Wednesday, 20 May, on Whitton Road in Hounslow and a separate attack on a property on Wellington Avenue in Hounslow, on Monday, 18 May," he said. "My thoughts are with all the victims during this difficult time."

Cllr Rajawat confirmed the council is working closely with police, adding that patrols in the area have been increased. Anyone with concerns is asked to speak to officers, or to contact police on 101 quoting CAD 362/20MAY, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

A Met Police spokesperson said: ‘‘We are aware of the concern that the community will have following this incident. Police patrols have been increased in the area and anyone with concerns is asked to speak to officers.’’

Mr Farooq stood as a Conservative Party candidate in the Hounslow Heath ward at the local elections held on 7 May — just a fortnight before the attacks. He received 1,177 votes, placing him fifth in the contest. His Conservative running mate, Darshan Nagi, was elected in third place with 1,358 votes. The three seats in the ward were won by Labour's Samia Chaudhary, who topped the poll with 1,830 votes, and Labour's Sahibaa Hussain with 1,446 votes, with Nagi completing the trio.

The contest was notable for the performance of Labour's Farhaan Rehman, who had attracted national press attention after his Lamborghini SUV — valued at over £200,000 — was found parked in a disabled bay without a blue badge on display. Rehman apologised, stepped down as chair of the council's Licensing and General Purposes Committee, and made a voluntary donation to the Mayor's charity equivalent to the standard fine. Despite the controversy, he still secured 1,304 votes — finishing fourth, narrowly behind Cllr Nagi but ahead of Mr Farooq.

The burnt out car the following morning
The burnt out car the following morning. Picture: Brentford TV

The attacks are not the first time that violence has touched those associated with Hounslow Heath ward politics. Afzaal Kiani, who represented the ward for Labour from 2022 and served a year as Mayor of Hounslow, previously had his home attacked and subsequently moved away from the area. Cllr Kiani returned to offer personal support to Mr Farooq following the Whitton Road incident and told Brentford TV that he believed the same people behind the attacks on him were responsible.

Mr Farooq himself issued a public statement saying. "It is deeply disappointing to see misleading narratives and political attacks being pushed following the recent election result," he wrote. "I accepted the decision of the public with respect and maturity. Unfortunately, it appears some individuals are still struggling to move on and remain more focused on political point-scoring than responsible public conduct."

The incidents have been picked up by Pakistani media outlets, including the Daily Nawaiwaqt of Lahore. One report was said to have described the Hounslow area as having been turned into "a battlefield" — a characterisation that John Dale of Brentford TV, who visited the scene of the second attack and interview Mr Farooq, has firmly rejected. Calls have also been circulating on social media urging people to "cool down the community."

The situation remains under active police investigation.

Like Reading Articles Like This? Help Us Produce More

This site remains committed to providing local community news and public interest journalism.

Articles such as the one above are integral to what we do. We aim to feature as much as possible on local societies, charities based in the area, fundraising efforts by residents, community-based initiatives and even helping people find missing pets.

We've always done that and won't be changing, in fact we'd like to do more.

However, the readership that these stories generates is often below that needed to cover the cost of producing them. Our financial resources are limited and the local media environment is intensely competitive so there is a constraint on what we can do.

We are therefore asking our readers to consider offering financial support to these efforts. Any money given will help support community and public interest news and the expansion of our coverage in this area.

A suggested monthly payment is £8 but we would be grateful for any amount for instance if you think this site offers the equivalent value of a subscription to a daily printed newspaper you may wish to consider £20 per month. If neither of these amounts is suitable for you then contact info@neighbournet.com and we can set up an alternative. All payments are made through a secure web site.

One-off donations are also appreciated. Choose The Amount You Wish To Contribute.

If you do support us in this way we'd be interested to hear what kind of articles you would like to see more of on the site – send your suggestions to the editor.

For businesses we offer the chance to be a corporate sponsor of community content on the site. For £30 plus VAT per month you will be the designated sponsor of at least one article a month with your logo appearing if supplied. If there is a specific community group or initiative you'd like to support we can make sure your sponsorship is featured on related content for a one off payment of £50 plus VAT. All payments are made through a secure web site.