Forum Topic

This is an interesting idea. West London will benefit greatly from more railway links, businesses will be opened up to new customer bases, new homes will have better transport links etc. I live about 80m South of the Richmond crossing and I have to say Bollo Lane does suffer already from significant congestion when the barriers are down. I would like to question the 50% a day as it doesn’t feel that much but then again I have not sat outside with a stop watch. Personally, closing the road will make my commute a little harder and will make going North to the North Circular a bit of a longer journey, but what I really worry about is where the traffic will go. The back streets of Southfield ‘Soapsud Island’ are, in the majority, single lane, Acton lane is an alternative but is already busy. As someone has already mentioned, understanding where the traffic is going needs to be studied but my assessment (based on nothing scientific!) is that you have 5 types: 1) Delivery scooters and Ocado zoom bikes going to the warehouses and kitchen in the industrial estate. They need to be able to go both North and South. 2) People coming from Chiswick headed for the Northbound north circular who want to cut out the Chiswick Roundabout. 3) drivers linking the A40 to A4 (and vice versa) who have gone through Acton. 4) ‘normal’ local traffic5) people in cars with souped up exhausts who like Bollo Lane because it’s straightish. But as I have said it needs to be properly studied. As an aside, there did use to be a pedestrian bridge crossing each of the railways, I have an early 1900s map of the area and they are to the east of the crossing. I think it would be a bit of squeeze to fit it in now though as I think gardens are now in the way. Long post and I’m sure that this project is not going to happen quickly!

Rory Hill ● 6d

The danger here is that if the level crossing closures are a requirement of the WLO proceeding then that may rule it out ever happening. It is likely that since Sterling Road tip closed most people never pass through this area now but the scale of development is extraordinary and it is in its very early stages.The population based there will be equal to a small town and even now with Bollo Lane open - road access via Gunnersbury Lane and Bollo Bridge Road can be problematic.It has been noticeable in the past few years that sat navs have been directing people aiming to get to north Chiswick from the west up Gunnersbury Avenue and along Gunnersbury Lane to get to Bollo Lane. Some analysis is needed to learn how much of the traffic here is being redirected this way - it could be that much of it would be displaced meaning that even with long queues would disappear. This could be reinforced by additional access restrictions for residents, deliveries and prebooked visitors.Without this I share other's scepticism that the available roads could handle the traffic even for an area predominantly car free housing with good public transport. It seems odd that TfL have highlighted the possibility of level crossing closures without any suggestion that they have at least done some high level analysis of the remaining road infrastructure to cope. It was also surprising to see TfL be dismissive of the scope for technology to reduce delays at level crossings. Perhaps it is a funding thing - they might be hoping to get extra  money for the latest tech but outside the current budget.

Mark Evans ● 21h

While I wouldn't question the expertise of the project team - they are making a case at this stage rather than presenting a final design. They have to downplay potential traffic issues to ensure the project doesn't lose momentum. I'm sure if you plug in certain assumptions about population growth and vehicle usage you can come up with an assessment that is favourable but whether this would be accepted by other parts of TfL including those responsible for roads, buses and property development is another question. It would be helpful if any assessment made so far was put into the public domain.The danger appears to me, as someone who really wants this project to go ahead, is that if potential problems like this are not addressed at an early stage - the scheme could get a long way through the process, only to hit a brick wall when questions about site access can't be properly answered.If technology can't help with the level crossings (AI says it can but let's assume it is wrong), then it is understandable that the WLO project team are hardline on shutting them. However, the maximum capacity of the Gunnersbury Lane/Bollo Lane junction and Bollo Bridge Road for handling traffic is relatively easy to calculate and will be very low. If the current assessments are based on what there is there now rather than what there is going to be - then this will fail at the consultation stage. I am increasingly moving towards the suggestion that restricted access through Chiswick Business Park for residents has to be explored.

Mark Evans ●