Forum Topic

We all make mistakes but perhaps its a lesson that observation does provide a sanity check for conclusions based on purely looking at numbers.Tom also seems to have somehow got it into his head that I am arguing that there is a total correlation between Heathrow Passenger arrivals and traffic on the A4. I hope it is obvious to others who have read what I have posted that isn't what I am saying.2018 and 2019 were the two peak years for Heathrow passenger throughput. 2017 and 2019 were the peak years for the number of vehicles using the A4 at a point just east of Hogarth roundabout with 2018 marginally behind 2017.There are obviously a lot of factors that influence the number of vehicles using the A4 in addition to Heathrow and in recent years these would include ULEZ, the congestion charge, the opening of the Elizabeth line, drop off charges at the airport and the level of congestion. These mean there won't be a perfect correlation between Heathrow arrivals and A4 traffic but in 2024 I can't think of any factor that is likely to have more influence that Heathrow passenger numbers. If you take the monthly numbers so far (up to September) and assume no growth for the remainder of the year compared to 2023, the airport will smash its previous record. For the A4 to reach a new high it would have to see an increase of around 15% in vehicles which may not happen as it would be greater than the increase in Heathrow's numbers but there doesn't seem to be any factor mitigating against traffic growth at the moment. I asked earlier what would offset other trends such as airport expansion and the huge number of housing starts in the A4 corridor and the only answer I got was the possibility of a signalling upgrade for the Piccadilly line.It would be helpful that, rather than coming up with irrelevant quibbles about data, those who disagree with what I am suggesting would explain why we don't need to worry about continued traffic growth on the A4 and why TfL isn't worried if they don't believe the Hogarth Roundabout plan was primarily about relieving congestion.

Jeremy Parkinson ● 3d

"The relevance of historical data is that M4 traffic volumes were even higher prior to 2010 than they were in 2019, let alone now."I'd admit past data is relevant to an extent but not predictive. I don't know what data point you are looking at but the one I am using is Site number: 46121 which is just to the east of Hogarth Roundabout. This shows that with a few outliers, the number of vehicles passing this point on a daily basis is between around 85,000 and 110,000.It is not correct to say that there were higher occurrences at the beginning of the century than we have seen in recent years. The peak was 2018 followed by 2019 which also happen to be the peak years for Heathrow passenger numbers. The monthly Heathrow numbers indicate that the 2018 record year will be substantially exceeded in 2024. Past data suggests that this will be accompanied by a similar increase in traffic on the A4."HGVs only make up about 3% of vehicles on the M4, the overwhelming majority are cars, so even if HGV volumes doubled, traffic would still be less than it was in 2019 and a lot less than it was in the 00s."There is a confusion here between 'traffic' and the number of vehicles on the road. HGVs take up much more road space and combine that with the significant increase in car size, the same number of vehicles that used the road in the 00s will cause a lot more congestion in 2024.My concern is that if you combine the Heathrow resurgence, with the lessening of the dampening effect of ULEZ as people switch to compliant cars and the significant growth in housing units along this corridor (28,000 in Hounslow borough alone) we will see the number of motor vehicles on the A4 go beyond the historic range.Mark is right that better public transport can help and there may be some forces that create an equilibrium here that prevent vehicle number rising above a certain amount. However, TfL don't seem to believe this which is why they want to widen the A4.

Jeremy Parkinson ● 4d

Given the relative volumes of traffic, the increasing tailbacks on the A316 are likely to be primarily caused by more vehicles using the A4. Heathrow is at record passenger levels and freight is also seeing strong growth.This has resulted in longer tailbacks both ways and TfL seems therefore to have reduced the phase times for roads joining the A4 which means the queues back along the A316 and Chiswick Lane are getting longer.Tom Pike will tell you that the number of vehicle crossings over Chiswick Bridge has fallen since Hammersmith Bridge closed and he is not wrong. He would further claim this is down to 'evaporation' which is probably partly true. Whether through the use of traffic-sensitive SatNavs or just experience, the congestion on the A316 will mean that people will avoid the route. How many cancel their journey and how many are displaced elsewhere we don't know. However, we can see while there are fewer vehicles using the road there is far more congestion. Just talk to a parent of a child at Cavendish school if you doubt this.That's not to say the Hammersmith Bridge closure and, to a lesser extent, the Grove Park access restrictions, don't mean the A316 queues aren't worse than they might otherwise be but I think we would still have them even if the bridge fully opened and the restrictions were scrapped.There doesn't seem to be any prospect of usage of the A4 falling so this problem is only going to get gradually worse so it is understandable that TfL wanted to take measures to deal with it.

Jeremy Parkinson ● 8d