Forum Topic

OK, here goes with your “salent points”. I would call them complete misapprehensions.Para 2 of your post: “You seem to have forgotten that it was Hamas who attacked a peaceful music festival in Israel and set off this whole tragic round of attack and counter-attack.” You made the same claim months and months ago, and I pointed out then that I wasn’t interested in who kicked off the whole tragic round. My concern them was for the people of Gaza, and stopping the death and destruction. It’s utterly pointless to say that none of this would have happened if Hamas hadn’t committed the massacre on 7th October last year It’s a bleedingly obvious, but utterly unhelpful, comment.Para 3: “The Jordanians (and, I suspect, behind them the Saudis) are trying to act as honest brokers to seek a workable two-state  solution, but as long as Iran encourages Hamas, Hezbollah and the Houthis their efforts will probably come to naught.” Do you seriously think that the main obstacle to a 2-state solution is the encouragement offered by Iran to its proxies? The overriding reason why a 2-state solution is impossible is that it’s completely unacceptable to Netanyahu. He owes his position as prime minister to the support of Ben Gvir, an illegal West Bank settler and Smotrich, both of whom are Kahanists, who believe in the right of Jews to occupy the West Bank, and encourage settlers to seize Palestinian land under cover of war (see Jerusalem post article: https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-806489)Para 4: “the ongoing provocations from Iran and its proxies are giving him the excuse he wants to expand the war and try and ensure that their capacity to attack Israel is significantly reduced.” Yes, I agree with you partially on this, inasmuch as Netanyahu is clearly looking for an excuse to take the hostilities to a whole new level, which would guarantee much greater support from an easily-manipulated Biden. But consider carefully which side is responsible for the more outrageous provocations. Netanyahu has been goading Iran for most of the past 12 months. Perhaps the most outrageous provocation was the Israeli airstrike on 31st July targeting a special governmental residence in Tehran, which killed Ismail Haniyeh, chief of Hamas’ political bureau. Before that there was the 1st April attack on the consular annex building adjacent to the Iranian Embassy in Damascus, which killed Mohamed Reza Zahedi, a senior figure within the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and commander of the Al-Quds Force in Lebanon and Syria. There have been many, many other provocations in 2024. And all of these attacks involved deaths of bystanders, and in the Damascus case, damage to the adjoining Canadian Embassy.

Robert Fish ● 16d

A very predictable response. Now that you feel you can no longer be the defender of the Conservative Party in Chiswick, you are burnishing your credentials for fulfilling the same role for Netanyahu and his band of criminals.Hezbollah have always made it clear that their rocket attacks are in support of the people of Gaza, and that they would stop them when Israel ceased attacking Gaza.How many people have been killed in Northern Israel? Do you think 96.000 people moving out of their homes in anticipation of rocket attacks is as serious as the deaths inflicted in Beirut by the IDF, and the million people who, according to the Lebanese Prime Minister, have fled their homes "because of the devastating war that Israel is waging on Lebanon". The Lebanese Health Ministry has also said that more than 1,200 people, including many women and children, have been killed over the past two weeks. Now that is escalation on a grand scale. And it is another example, similar to that of Gaza, of infliction of reprisals, in the form of "collateral damage", on an innocent civilian population.You seem to forget that the US thought they had negotiated a ceasefire agreement in Gaza, only for Netanyahu to blindside them at the last minute. It wasn't Hamas that was the obstacle to the ceasefire. And Netanyahu has continued to backtrack on an agreement with the US regarding a truce with Hezbollah (see 26 September report in Haaretz). His only desire is escalation, knowing that if he can trade on Iran's reluctance to lose face by failing to support their Hezbollah clients, he will almost certainly achieve such an escalation of the conflict as will assure him of the unwavering support of the USA. He's played Biden, and regrettably it looks as if Kamala Harris is falling for the same trick.

Robert Fish ● 17d