Forum Topic

I don't think this government's started out well, but it's too early to judge. As to doom and gloom, most of that seems to be propagated by the local malcontents who will never be reconciled to the fact of a Labour government. There has been an unbelievable amount of fuss generated over one poor decision, and a lot of baseless speculation of what may be to come.I worry that the signs so far indicate that Rachel Reeves may be about to prolong austerity, which has already done so much damage to our public services and limited growth in GDP. Funny that when Conservative Chancellors were implementing their austerity programme we didnt hear these howls of grief and rage from the forum members who are now so vocal.The fact is we are hamstrung by adherence to the "fiscal rules". Unless Reeves casts off the straitjacket of adherence to the rules, she is doomed. The solution to the restoration of public services and to the problem of low growth is massive investment, funded by borrowing. Forget the household economics and the idea of a balanced budget. It's observance of the fiscal rules that creates the tension between taxation increases and cutting services/benefits, such as the unfortunate winter fuel allowance decision. With the tax burden already quite high by historical standards, increases in taxation should be designed with redistribution in mind rather than generating revenue to reduce public debt. Massive investment requires more than taxing the rich "until the pips squeak" (to misquote Dennis Healey - he was referring to squeezing property speculators, not the rich per se). It requires massive borrrowing, and a compete throwing over of the fiscal rules. Given the parlous state of all our public services, further austerity is inconceivable. And growth will be achieved only by expansionary measures - not by a form of household economics.Change was at the heart of Labour's election campaign. So far I see no sign of change. We are still being held back by outdated Tory nostrums. I say to Rachel Reeves: no more austerity, please. It's no good resisting change so as not to alienate the Tory-supporting media - they'll crucify you anyway. Be bold!

Robert Fish ● 35d

Why is it that both you and Mr. Pavey are so adept at personal insults? I am quite happy to have a sensible and reasoned debate (sorry - open my 'big mouth'!) with anyone, is this just a teeny hint of misogyny creeping in? For information I read two daily newspapers the 'i' and The Mirror  - oh dear both tabloids, but on Sunday it's The Sunday Times and The Observer and Mirror, also I subscribe to 'Private Eye'. I  make no secret of the fact that my political support is by and large with the Labour party. However, even when a member there were things that I could not agree with - let alone support. I have not voted Labour in the last two local elections because I doubt the commitment and understanding of local politics and Labour party principles that has been on display. But, where the new government is concerned I do broadly agree with their plans. I think the withdrawal of the Fuel Allowance except for the people that qualify for it  was bound to be unpopular, but there are also many of us this affects who realise that younger people are finding things difficult too, so really we all need to think about how any government money is raised and distributed. There are a considerable number of pensioners who chose to move abroad to warmer countries, why should they get a fuel allowance? Also many with a decent private pension who will admit they really do not rely on it. Not all retired people are sitting huddled round a couple of sticks wrapped in a shawl. The thing now is to ensure all those that do qualify for Pension Credit  claim what they are entitled to, and also understand this is NOT charity and there are many more benefits that are on offer once you qualify for this one. Better still, a good hard root and branch review that brings state pension into line with other countries would allow everyone to pay their way without the complications of extra form filling. I am sure that the government will p*ss me off at some stage - that's life, but after 14 years of graft, lies, cronyism and sheer chaos, I am so glad this household voted Labour last month.

Vanessa Smith ● 55d