Forum Topic

Al, you are talking rubbish about "consumer" versions of GPS data.Strava gets its data from GPS hardware on a phone or a dedicated device like a Garmin.  There aren't "consumer" and "commercial" versions of an iPhone or Garmin - they produce the same GPS data for all applications.  If I look at the GPS trace of a ride on another application like RideWithGPS, it also shows the trace in the middle of CHR even though I was in the bike lane.  So as I said, you cannot rely on the GPS traces to tell the difference between the bike lane and roadway.Yes, Strava will sell data to businesses and that will have information like the origin, destination, time of day of a ride and perhaps anonymised information about the user, but Strava doesn't get more accurate GPS data than anyone else using a phone or Garmin.You keep on ignoring that there are 4 cameras along CHR that CAN tell the difference between roadway and cycleway and the data from these totally contradict your claim.  The data is publicly available, eg. https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transparency/freedom-of-information/foi-request-detail?referenceId=FOI-2473-2324I also quoted data from the A4 that was in annual traffic surveys done by the DfT.  Again, you can get this at:https://roadtraffic.dft.gov.uk/manualcountpoints/46121You can see there are daily counts of 37 in 2020 and 33 in 2021 although that did increase to just over 600 in 2022 and 2023.  However the numbers cycling on the A4 are tiny compared to CHR.And what is this nonsense about "reduction in collisions being down to the cycle lane when the speed limit was reduced to 20mph at the same time.".I mean really Al, why are you coming up with this rubbish? I've just looked at google street view and can see a road sign changed from 30mph to 20mph sometime between April 2018 and July 2019 so the CHR speed limit was not changed "at the same time".It strikes me that you are the person who is refusing to accept reality. You come up with nonsense about GPS locations being more accurate for Strava than any other applications, nonsense about speed limits and ignore the results of traffic surveys because they show your preference for the A4 is only shared by a small minority of people.

Michael Robinson ● 54d

Michael, their location is accurate enough to tell the difference.  There were two very definite distinct routes on the heatmap.  One was very clearly in the cycle lane, and one on the road.The one you posted is the consumer version, not the version that they sell to commercial customers who pay money.This is why I haven't been on here for ages.  It's not worth discussing with people who refuse to accept reality (on both sides of the argument), and who use incorrect figures, or incorrectly interpreted figures - like your presentation of the reduction in collisions being down to the cycle lane when the speed limit was reduced to 20mph at the same time.Ages ago, you also quoted incorrect figures about the use of the A4 path.  From memory, you said something like it being in the range of tens of people per day.  The next week I had to pick something up in the car from Hammersmith.  I saw 10 cyclists in the cycle lane in the 5 minutes or so it took to drive from Hammersmith to Chiswick.  That was at 8:30 pm in the evening.  The numbers you were quoting bore no relation to reality.It's not worth trying to discuss these things with you.  To be fair, some of the anti-cycling brigade are even worse, which is why most people stay out of these discussions, and its the same 6 or 7 people posting the same stuff over and over again.You aren't helping your case with the people in the middle who just see you dodging questions, and refusing to acknowledge problems.  What you are doing is often counter-productive.  Anyway, I've had enough, and I'll leave you and the usual suspects to it.

Al Webber ● 54d

Al,The fact that I was cycling in the bike lane but Strava thinks that I was in the road is evidence that you cannot rely on Strava to tell the difference because of GPS accuracy limitations. I can show you the Strava data for other parts of the journey where it thinks that I am cycling through a building beside the road. Claims of “more detailed” data are meaningless because the GPS data isn’t accurate enough to start with. Strava doesn’t have any more accurate data than the data it gets from users and if the data it gets from me incorrectly shows me in the road rather than bike lane, that incorrect view will apply to lots of other users as well.As I said, there are 4 survey locations along C9 using cameras than CAN tell the difference between cycleway and road and data from those demonstrates that your claim is nonsense. Anyone would only need to stand by C9 for 5 minutes to see your claim was nonsense as well.Of course the design is a compromise. All designs are compromises. Bike lanes on both sides of the road would require more space because two separate lanes take up more space than a single bidirectional lane because of 2 sets of kerbing and the width of the lanes. More space would mean losing more space from roadway and/or pavement and lanes on both sides of the road would double the construction costs.  If you think that there was lots of objections to the existing scheme, they would have been off the scale with lanes on both sides because of narrowed pavements and removal of more parking.Your views are a classic case of perfection being an enemy of the good and the large increase in usage demonstrates many people think that C9 is good. You can’t rely on Strava to tell the difference between cycleway and carriageway but you can rely on it to show just how few people use the A4, your preferred route, so that is good evidence your opinion isn’t shared by the vast majority.

Michael Robinson ● 56d

The data I saw was far more detailed.  It was the data that is supplied to businesses.  I could probably get hold of it, but I might be breaching the terms and conditions if I shared it.  It definitely showed more journeys on the main carriageway.On another subject, your claim about the reduction in collisions justifying the cycle lane is disingenuous.  The cycle lane (in it's initial temporary form) was put in during the pandemic in 2020.However that was not the only major change.  The speed limit on Chiswick High Roads was reduced from 30mph to 20mph around the same time.  I just found a traffic notice for a consultation on it that closed in Jan 2020.Even if there is a reduction in collisions, the reduction in the speed limit will be a major factor - possibly the predominant factor. You can't claim all of the credit for the cycle lane.The cycle lane is better than what was there before.  We used to have paint on the road alongside parked cars in exactly the place where you would choose to cycle if you wanted to get doored.While it's better than what was there before, it's still a fudged compromise.  There should be a lane on each side of the road with traffic.  With the two way thing, there has to be a completely separate phase of the lights for the cycle lane, which is incredibly short, so it makes using the lane very, very, very slow.We have people like you and Paul on one side, who refuse to acknowledge that it is a compromise that isn't actually very good.  On the other side, we had the local Tories who were claiming that it would destroy the High Road.The truth is somewhere in between.  It hasn't destroyed the High Road, but it is not a good cycle lane.As I've said before, I normally avoid it.  I will use the A4 shared path, or use Bath Road if I need to go somewhere further North.

Al Webber ● 57d