Forum Topic

That post is just so driven by personal animosity it beggars belief. What a bitter person you are Francis.I never said it is "boom time". I am saying that Chiswick is doing well, better than most high streets in the country and certainly far better that its detractors like to pretend on this forum. I don't know what motivates them to talk it down so much. Maybe they just believe it to be true because they are pessimists or maybe they are actually disappointed that their predictions of carnage to the local economy from cycle lanes and motor restrictions have been proven to have been as hysterical as people like me said they were at the time.You forget that I spend hours one Sunday every month volunteering in person and in reality with a leading Chiswick estate agent who is bringing new businesses into the area. I know they are credible because what they tell me will happen tends to happen. I also know that there are lots of very interesting businesses actively looking for new premises all the time and we see the results in the quick turnover of units when vacancies arise. Businesses expanding is of course also a good sign as well as the new entrants and the longevity of many businesses that have arrived since 2000.I deliberately didn't mention lots of businesses that have arrived since 2000 and elevated the offerings of what came before them because there are so many. I just mentioned a few I go to. Thinking I omitted Rock and Rose because its owner opposes traffic reduction and active travel is very revealing of how limited your own thinking is on these matters. If anything that would have been a very good reason to include her business especially as she opened after the cycle lane was installed and Fishers Lane was made into a bus and cycle route.I am very aware there factors beyond a cycle lane and parking spaces as I have been repeatedly explaining on this thread to people who are no so compelled to argue with me that they end up saying very foolish things and then have to defend them. Chiswick is doing well and its offering is on an upmarket trajectory and has been some time primarily because of its changing demographics and an ever-increasing number of very wealthy residents with disposable incomes that they like to spend on the excellent variety of restaurants, cafes and luxury food retailers within walking or cycling distance of their homes. There is an enviable captive audience on the doorstep for businesses who get their offering right.I also do talk to traders. People like you have spent so long demonising me as a happy and victorious cycle campaigner that I have become a one-dimensional figure in your mind. I have always been a huge supporter of top quality local businesses with my wallet and I love Chiswick. It's a great place and I feel very fortunate to raise my family here and watch it getting better every year. I still won't provide my long list but yours did make me laugh. A few corkers in there:Genco, Bharat had long ago sold to a PE firm that didn't have his touch and I stopped going but I think there is merit in considering the impact of the through traffic on businesses in Devonshire Road as it could be Chiswick's Church Street. The Crown replaced by a higher end offering reinforcing my central point. Ngon watch this space ..... The Italians expanded seating in its main premises where it serves pizzas and much else and moved the deli into the pizza space. Kitchen and Pantry, closed down chain with terrible reviews replaced by independent Mali's run by the husband and wife team behind Nikki's. I think we can see they see the same Chiswick as I see as they double-down with their great offering. What a great example to finish with. Best of luck to Mali's.

Paul Campbell ● 61d

A list of businesses that have opened over the past few years is hardly compelling evidence in that you could compile a similar list of businesses that have closed - Borough Wines, Peppermint, GENCO, The Crown, Ngon Deli, The Italians pizza restaurant and Kitchen & Pantry. Combined with the pollyannaish views of what is probably an imaginary estate agent you aren't going to convince anyone this is boom time for Chiswick particularly as one of the traders you list  is very concerned about their future in the area.It is also interesting you don't cite perhaps the strongest case in support of your argument - the takeover by Rock and Rose of a large prime site previously occupied by a chain. As the owner has views about High Road retail that you don't agree with, she appears to have been airbrushed out.Nearly everything you post about on here, it is driven by your simplistic and dogmatic views about transport issues and you are determined to push the narrative that Chiswick is doing well because Cycleway 9 opponents said it would destroy it.The reality is that there are far more important factors affecting how retailers do than a segregated cycle lane or the availability of a few extra parking spaces. If you talk to real commercial property professionals and people who actually own retail businesses they will explain to you the huge challenges that the industry currently faces. These aren't unique to Chiswick but, if you can find a trader who you haven't alienated by your social media antics, they will give you more details of their particular concerns.This is a complex issue and Chiswick's town centre isn't necessarily in terminal decline and remains an attractive place for local residents to shop and eat but it is still struggling to reinvent itself post covid. I've recently been to both Kensal Rise and Hackney and they have a buzz which is lacking on our High Road.The true picture is being masked to a certain extent. There are quite a few firms in arrears with their rent but landlords are working on the devil you know principle calculating that the cost of a sustained vacancy will be bigger than the write off. Also quite a significant proportion of new businesses have been given rental terms which simply weren't on offer before Covid which provide very low initial rent enabling a suck it and see strategy. The e-bike retailer Fully Charged wasn't a pop-up when it moved in but became so when it became apparent it wouldn't be possible. Finally, Chiswick has been attracting interest from businesses which are money laundering fronts. Most agents and landlords will try and steer clear of something that looks suspicious but this issue is never cut and dried and obviously the business isn't going to fess up to its true purpose. These three factors have reduced vacancy rates in Chiswick below which they otherwise might have been. Even so they are quite high and if you add in the proliferation of charity shops and short term occupancies, this is quite a hollowed out retail space. The important thing to bear in mind is that even shops and restaurants that appear to be thriving can be right on the edge and many in Chiswick are so, if you want them to be there next year, keep visiting.

Francis Rowe ● 61d

While Chiswick was more expensive than the rest of London up to the mid nineties, there was a pronounced and historic shift in house prices in terms of affordability after 1995, not just in Chiswick but across the UK, with regional differences growing after decades of relative stability. Since then Chiswick’s house prices have on average grown more than the rest of London. This article gives some very relevant  historic comparisons, back to 1845!https://www.schroders.com/en/global/individual/insights/what-174-years-of-data-tell-us-about-house-price-affordability-in-the-uk/In fact it was from the mid nineties that London’s state schools started a sustained increase in performance, and the reasons for that have been much debated. Part of it has been down to specific policies, but demographic shifts such as increased intake of children of immigrant families who put a high value on education has been a recognised factor. Chiswick is not alone in seeing these significant shifts: it has experienced an exaggerated version of what the rest of London has seen with a widening disparity to the rest of the UK.  However, there are signs that some of these differences might be starting to close, specifically house prices, although the headline fall has been masked by inflation. Chiswick tends to shift a year earlier than the rest of London in terms of house prices relative to the rest of the UK, so it seems we may see a continued unwinding of price differentials, which most people would probably welcome.

Tom Pike ● 61d

Listing places you don't like because you consider them downmarket does not erase from existence all the excellent restaurants and independent businesses that continue to make Chiswick a very desirable place to live and a great deal more so than Ealing at least. And actually many younger people and their wealthy parents do like offerings from the likes of Five Guys and do not consider them downmarket. Five Guys is expensive in its category and does very well in Chiswick. These things are just part of the rich variety on offer.I never said that everywhere was providing high end cuisine. That would be absurd. But generally the move is towards higher end and higher margin offerings. The Swan and the Duke are two more excellent examples. Shabby and broken pubs in 2000 with a very different offering and clientele now. The same can be said of many pubs in the area. The demographic of people moving to Chiswick is different. I was born in Chiswick and I know that people who bought here in the 70s and 80s were able to do so with far lower paid jobs than the people who are buying the same kind of properties now. It was a much more bohemian place back then and attracted. a much wider demographic including many immigrants who were able to afford rents on decent flats and houses with manual and local jobs as well as the wealthy burghers of Bedford Park. Newcomers have to be very high earners usually working away from the local area in the City and predominantly in finance.The generational difference is plain to see both on our streets and on this forum. You just need to know what to look for. How about you try to resist your impulsive reflex to reject everything I say because of your personal animus? Is it too threatening? Do these different demographics threaten the political and social status quo of the local gerontocracy? Could they result in a Chiswick that doesn't vote for anachronisms like some of our local Councillors? Could it be that Chiswick is just getting better despite the influx of the finance bros? What if Hounslow is not only failing to destroy Chiswick, it is actually improving it and making it a more attractive place to live in and visit for people who are not like you?

Paul Campbell ● 64d