Forum Topic

In my view the events of the last week heralds the end of the Conservative party as a force in west London. Jenrick looks likely to be the next leader and I would bet not one of the local councillors or very few of the local party association support his key policy of ditching the ECHR. Jenrick thinks it is about sending home Albanian burglars but anyone with knowledge of business, law or finance knows that the implications of leaving would be much wider and these sort of people are the party's core support in this part of the country.At the same time the Lib Dems crushed the Tories in what used to be a safe seat in a by-election in Ealing this week. As a Labour voter I can see the Lib Dems at least doubling their representation in this borough next time out and becoming the main challenger across all wards not just a few pockets in the east.There is already a substantial part of South West London where the Lib Dems are the first or second party - Richmond, Kingston but generally that is because they have been seen as the most likely challenger to the Conservatives. However, now it looks like the Tories are so far back in third that they will emerge as the main opposition in Labour boroughs.Hounslow is interesting because it has Liberal Democrat wards on its borders both in the east and west so the party must be thinking about what it can do here. Credit must go to the Conservative councillors who managed to hang on in Chiswick against the odds but as some point the disconnect between what the party represents at the national level and the views of their constituents has to tell.

Mark Evans ● 7d